We continue A Denver Guide to Thanksgiving with pastry favorite, The Humble Pie Store. Proprietor and Pie Slinger Tamara Brink shares one of her favorite holiday pies. It’s hands-down the best apple pie you will ever eat, and it’s a guaranteed crowd-pleaser for Thanksgiving. The gooey salted caramel adds a savory touch to tart granny smith apples, creating a toffee-like experience as it hardens on a buttery crust. The result is a marriage of the candy goodness of caramel apples with a complex, grownup flavor profile. It’s heaven. When asked for her favorite pairing for this pie, Brink claims that Colorado-made Sweet Action Vanilla Bean ice cream is the very best. If you don’t have time to make a pie for the holiday or you are not much of a baker, you can order pies from The Humble Pie Store here. The chocolate chess and apple-pear cranberry are also to die for. Check back tomorrow for pie tips from Brink!
Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 2 and 1/2 cups unbleached AP flour
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 12 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2 cup cold vegetable shortening, cut into 4 pieces (Humble Pie Store uses butter-flavored shortening for more flavor)
- 1/4 cup cold vodka
- 1/4 cup cold water
Pie Crust Directions:
- Process 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, and sugar in food processor until combined, about 2 one-second pulses. Add butter and shortening and process until homogeneous dough just starts to collect in uneven clumps, about 15 seconds (dough will resemble cottage cheese curds and there should be no uncoated flour). Scrape bowl with rubber spatula and redistribute dough evenly around processor blade. Add remaining cup flour and pulse until mixture is evenly distributed around bowl and mass of dough has been broken up, 4 to 6 quick pulses. Empty mixture into medium bowl.
- Sprinkle vodka and water over mixture. With rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix, pressing down on dough until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together. Divide dough into two even balls and flatten each into 4-inch disk.
Salted Caramel Apple Crumb Pie Ingredients:
- 1/2 pie crust recipe
- 6 cups peeled and sliced granny smith apples
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup salted caramel (Click here for Humble Pie Store’s favorite salted caramel recipe!)
Crumb Topping Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out pie crust and lay it into a standard pie dish. Trim the edges and crimp to create a fluted edge.
- Place apple slices in a large bowl. Add flour and spices. Stir to coat apple pieces.
- Add vanilla and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Fill pie crust with apple filling.
- Drizzle salted caramel over apple slices.
- To prepare crumb topping, combine flour, sugar, and oats in a medium bowl.
- Pour cooled melted butter over flour and oats mixture. Toss and cut until small to medium sized chunks form.
- Sprinkle crumb topping over entire pie.
- Cover pie loosely with foil. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375, uncover pie, and continue baking for an additional 35 minutes.
- Cool pie before slicing.